Edited by tari42 at 21-1-17 23:15 |
Hi, everyone. In this article or whatever, I'll tell you why I said goodbye to UC recently. My purpose is not comparing UC with the browser I switched to now but letting everyone know why I did that. I've been using UC for last few years (as the one and only) and I switched to it because of its great performance. But lately it’s been a pain in the neck. For low RAM phones, and tech savvy guys, unwanted services running in the back and more are unbearable. First of all let’s talk about my overall disappointments with UC:
1. Too many services running in background even when you exit, like, PushProxyService, LockScreenService (even when you disable any kind of screen lock option in UC), IntlRemoteBackground, ChannelService, AgooService, RemoteDownload and NotificationService (There used to be an ElectionService, too). No matter if you kill them; they come back in seconds, even before you leave the Android built-in Application Manager after killing them. Why can’t UC just stop being smart when people choose it to be (or must be able to, to choose so)?
2. Unwanted, forced news (No direct option to turn off. Somehow, I once found an option in Settings > Homepage settings> UC News Display > Card. Then using “Card Manager” on homepage I disabled all news in v11.0.5 and later, once, in 11.1.x.. Worse is that “Homepage settings” can disappear later leaving you no way to turn the news off. Uninstalling and then reinstalling may help.)
3. Unwanted, forced UC music (No option to turn off. It is the default one if you want to play an audio file directly from the “Download list” and you can't change. When opened, it asks you for a lot of things, like, lyrics showing, earphone settings etc. And even doesn’t work properly sometimes.) Why forcing users?
4. No option to edit homepage.
5. Useful options like “Find in page” are located so deep instead of long-tap/touch. And “UC music” and “Themes” are nearer.
6. Speed Dials can only be added, cannot be edited.
7. Forced ads on Homepage and the top right corner of the Menu (when you click the middle button, you know).
8. UC crashed every time when I chose “Image” while uploading (“Files” worked fine though).
9. No editing and adding of new Search Engine (not a problem for me but anyway, a lack of something)
10. Facebook notifications were mostly fake for me (Turned off later. I’m not an FB fan, anyway)
11. Very slow loading of sites, like, IMDb, some blog type sites and many more.
12. It resonses very slow with more than 2, 3 tabs opened or a long, heavy page loading.
13. Sucks RAM with unwanted service and proceses running in the background and thus-
14. Slowing down my phone and its response in other applications also. Even opening number pad and dialing a phone number would be very, very slow. Many times killing UC gave my phone a boost.
There could be more that skipped my mind right now. I was ignoring the above mentioned for a long time but recently I updated to v11.1.x and it just added to them.
My disappointments in new UC 11.1.x:
1. Options like “Select and copy” almost vanished. (No “Select and copy” if you long-tap a link. It instead has a “Copy text” and “Copy link” options. “Copy text” can work but what if you want to copy only a little part of the text?
2. Missing “View Page Info” (It helps to see the title of the page and the url of course (with “Copy” option), and few others. It was very useful to see before you copy the link.)
3. Because of “View Page Info”, its next ones, “Expand” (not really useful for me) and “Search” are also missing of course.
4. Uploading through “Image” still remains a problem.
There could be more that skipped my mind right now.
For those who would wonder to know my phone name and other specs: I used UC on Samsung GT-7262 on TataDoCoMo, Airtel and Wifi.
In the end, I’m not saying that UC offended me doing that. Why would it be? But I've found the another one ahead of it.
View Rating Log